Guy House and Robinson House, two of our Museum buildings, reside on Lot 6, Broken Front (BF) Concession.
The recorded history of the lot begins on May 19, 1821 when the patent for 200 acres of land was granted to Charles Annis.
The patent to a parcel of Crown Land was granted to settlers who were successful in fulfilling their settlement agreement such as clearing the land in a specific time period. The agreement had to be completed before the patent could be granted, and this process could take several years.
Just two years later, Charles sold the 200 acres to Levi Annis. The complete 200 acre lot was sold two other times before it began to be divided up and sold. On October 3, 1845 David Annis sold the north 50 acres to John Shipman.
The following year, Annis sold 58 square perches to John Robinson; this is just under half an acre. It was on this parcel of land that Robinson House was built.
The Sydenham Harbour Company first appears on the land registry records in 1847, when David Annis sells 2 acres, 3 rods and 15 paces to the company. Just one year later a portion of the land was then sold to the Grand Trunk Railroad. In just under 30 years, the lot has changed from being farm land to the arrival of industry.
The Guy name does not appear in the records until 1861 when ¼ acre was sold to James O. Guy by Samuel Phillips and ½ acre was sold to him by Daniel Conant.
The end of the 1800s saw the arrival of another well known Oshawa business. In 1894, the Oshawa Sydenham Company transferred through an agreement a part of their land to the Rathbun Company, who began the Oshawa Railway Company.
The Town of Oshawa appears on the registry in 1904 with a deal between the town and Thomas Conant. The agreement is a sewer grant which permits the town to lay pipe underground on Conant’s property.
The annexation of Cedardale began with Gordon Conant granting part of the lot to East Whitby Township for $400 in 1921. The following year, the annexation process was on-going and resulted in part of the lot now becoming the property of the Town of Oshawa.
The 1930s saw a by-law, #2034, passed that allowed part of the lot to be used for industrial sites. The following year, the town also devised a plan to widen Simcoe Street, thus making use of part of the lot once again.
The transformation of the lot into park land began in 1951 when the lot, along with all residences and road allowances, was annexed to the City of Oshawa.