Happy New Year! Throughout 2017, we shared over 50 new articles on the Oshawa Museum Blog, showcasing so many different stories from our city’s past. We’re planning our new and dynamic posts for 2018, but to start the year, let’s look back at our top 5 posts of 2017
September was a busy month for programming at Union Cemetery. We have a fantastic partnership with the cemetery and we’re fortunate to use this space to remember citizens of the past. In advance of those engaging events, we shared the history of Union’s Mausoleum.
Did You Know: We are planning on delivering cemetery tours every Wednesday evening in July and August! Stay tuned to our Facebook Page for the dates and tour themes!
This was a milestone year for Canada – the 150th anniversary of the passing of the British North America Act, effectively creating the Dominion of Canada. To start the year, we shared our post Oshawa in 1867, looking at what our humble village looked like 150 years ago.
In this post, our Visitor Experience Co-ordinator shared her memories of Oshawa’s Civic Auditorium, spending her childhood days growing up in the same neighbourhood. The Civic has a long history in our community, and this post stirred up memories for many readers.
Nostalgia seemed to be of great interest on the blog as another popular post was written by Visitor Host Karen about the history of FJ Donovan school. Her post proved timely as the former high school was torn down in late 2017.
While this year was Canada’s sesquicentennial, it was also the 150th anniversary of Ontario’s province-hood. To mark this anniversary, an early Street Name Story looked at Oshawa’s Ontario Street and the meaning behind the name.
These were our top 5 posts written in 2017; the top viewed post for the year was actually written a few years ago, again another street name story. Where the Streets Get Their Names: The Poppies on the Signs was our overall top viewed post for the year, receiving a lot of traction around Remembrance Day in November.
In case you haven’t heard, 2017 is a big milestone year for Canada, as this year marks the 150th anniversary of the signing of the British North America Act, or to put it very simply, it’s Canada’s 150th birthday. The BNA Act (today known as the Constitution Act) created the Dominion of Canada which today has grown to ten provinces and three territories. In 1867, our modest country was comprised of only four provinces: Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
Our province is also celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. Before officially becoming named the Province of Ontario in 1867, Quebec and Ontario were united as the Province of Canada, comprised of Canada West (today Ontario) and Canada East (Quebec).
Why am I rehashing a Canadian History 101 course in this post? Today, we’re looking at the story behind Ontario Street, a street found in the heart of our downtown core.
The name Ontario and its usage is much older than the province itself. Let’s go back to pre-historical times, pre-history meaning the period of time before written records. Before European arrival, the Indigenous people called this land home for thousands of years. Prior to 1700, the area was inhabited by the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) First Nations, and their name for the lake they lived by was skanadario, meaning ‘beautiful water.’ Another possible root for the word may be from the Wendat (Huron) word Ontarí:io, meaning ‘great lake.’ When the Province of Ontario was created in 1867, it was named after Lake Ontario.
Usage of the name Ontario in this area pre-dates Confederation. The County of Ontario was created in 1852 and it was the ‘upper-tier municipality’ in which Oshawa was located. It was in existence until the mid-1970s when county lines were redrawn and the Regional Municipality of Durham was created. The County of Ontario was comprised of the following townships:
Brock, with communities including Cannington, Vroomanton, Pinedale, Sunderland, Wick.
Mara, community centres were: Gamebridge, Brechin, Atherley, Udney and Rathburn.
Pickering; Community centres: Pickering, Dunbarton, Green River, Balsam, Claremont, Brougham, Altona.
Rama; Community centres: Floral Park, Longford Mills, Cooper’s Falls, Washago.
Reach; Community centres: Port Perry, Manchester, Saintfield, Utica.
Scott, whose communities included Zephyr, Sandford, Leaskdale, Udora.
Thorah, community centers: Beaverton.
Uxbridge; Community Centres: Uxbridge, Goodwood.
Whitby and East Whitby; Community centres: Oshawa, Whitby, Brooklin, Ashburn and Myrtle.
On display in Henry House is a map from 1862. I’ll often encourage visitors to find Oshawa on this map, and instinctively, they start looking within the limits marked as Durham, because that’s where we are today. Instead, we can be found on the eastern edge of the County of Ontario. For several reasons, that map may be one of my favourite artifacts in the Museum, but I digress.
To discover the history of Oshawa’s Ontario Street, we turn to documents in our archival holdings, like maps and directories. The earliest such document in the archival holdings is the 1869-70 County of Ontario Directory, and it lists a number of people who made their home on Ontario Street. It is safe to say that this street is older than 1869, but how much older is hard to say without the historical evidence.
In 1867, the people of Canada were participating in the growth of a new country. They were concerned with the Confederation Bill, Fenian Raids, as well as George Brown representing reform. Oshawa was still a village in 1867, and the people in it had a strong interest in the politics and events which happened outside of the community as evidenced by the news stories found in the Oshawa Vindicator. The newspaper always reported what was happening within the community so that everyone could remain informed about upcoming and past events or notes of interest.
Many of the villagers of Oshawa played an active role in the January 7th council election in the community. During Election Day there were a number of close calls for electors who were voting for either S.B. Fairbanks or W.D. Michael, the two candidates for the Reeveship. A number of electors had to climb over fences and through windows in order to cast their votes for either candidate before the polling booth closed and votes were counted. Silas Fairbanks won his campaign for Reeve with 175 votes while W.D. Michael became Deputy Reeve with 172 votes. E.B. Wilcox, J.W. Fowke and D.F Burk were elected as councillors. D.F. Burk withdrew after being elected and Mr. Wall took his place.
Within the community, people were close knit and participated in numerous socials and activities that were planned by various groups and organizations. For instance, the Mechanics Cornet Band secured the services of an instructor and leader and then canvassed the village for funds and encouraged honorary members to join for 30 cents per month. The money would help pay for music, uniforms and instruments. Not only did the Mechanic Cornet Band begin in 1867, but the Young Men’s Christian Association was also started. A meeting was called for September 6th, for young men of Protestant denomination to get together for the purpose of organizing the new YMCA in Oshawa. On one occasion there were so many people at the social held at Mr. Pake’s home that the floor gave way. Luckily a cellar did not exist below the floor so that it only dropped by a foot. There were few injuries. On other occasions there were musical evenings planned. One such evening was held at the Son’s Hall where solos, duets and quartets were performed. Vocal and instrumental demonstrations were also performed by Oshawa’s best amateurs. The highlight of that particular evening was an account of his life given by P. Benson Sr. through the use of illustrated panoramic views. It must also be noted that throughout the numerous socials and other events held in Oshawa, the 34th Battalion and the volunteer militia were constantly kept ready for active service against the threat of an attack by Fenians.
On August 15, 1867 citizens were able to participate in the excursion of the season. A boat ride aboard the Corinthian which started in Colborne, picked up passengers in Oshawa at 7:15 a.m., and arrived in Niagara Town at 10:00 a.m. At this stop the passengers boarded a train to take them to Niagara Falls. Passengers then had a number of hours to pursue the many entertainments available at the Falls. At 4:15 p.m. they reboarded the train and were steaming towards Charlotte by 5:00 p.m. They arrived in Charlotte at 10:00 p.m. and eventually arrived back in Whitby by 5:00 a.m. This trip was advertised as a moonlight sail on Lake Ontario. Single tickets were $1.50 and double tickets were $2.50.
Oshawa also became renown through the industriousness of members of its manufacturing community. W.H. Pellow and A.M. Walton, who opened a general hardware business in 1867, also manufactured a cheese vat which won a special prize at the Provincial Exhibition. The Joseph Hall Works manufactured the Gordon Printing Press, which by the end of 1867 was winning admirers from various community printers outside of Oshawa. As part of the early closing movement merchants entered into an agreement to close places of business at 7:00 p.m. throughout the year except in June, July and August when the businesses would remain open until 7:30 p.m.
There were a few fires and other accidents in the village. In December slight tremors were felt from an earthquake that affected the eastern portion of the Dominion and New York. There was a heavy snow storm at the end of April as well as a lightning storm which destroyed the chimney, stove and some windows in the home of John Sykes. Mr. Atkinson, the druggist, reported the temperatures everyday from outside his store. On Saturday August 18, it was 88 degrees Fahrenheit.
New businesses such as the general hardware business of W.H. Pellow and A.M. Walton opened. Buildings such as the new Methodist Church, on Simcoe Street, were built to accommodate the growing population of Oshawa, which in 1867 was 3 500.
Dominion Day in 1867 was a relatively quiet affair in Oshawa, even though it had been designated as a celebration of Confederation for the country. The day started with the firing of guns and ringing of bells and many houses flew flags. A picnic was held later in the day at Cedar Dale for those people of the community who did not go elsewhere to places such as the town of Whitby to celebrate.
Above taken from Historical Oshawa Information Sheet
References: The Oshawa Vindicator, January 2, 1867. Vol. XII, No. 18 to December 25, 1867. Vol. XIII, No. 17.