Oshawa’s downtown core is centred around King and Simcoe Streets, or, as many locals call it, the Four Corners. This area was first settled by a man named John Kerr who purchased 200 acres at the northwest corner of King and Simcoe Streets in 1816. For many years, the settlement was called Kerr’s Creek.
In the 1830s, local merchant, Edward Skae opened a popular general store at the corner of Simcoe and King Streets and the hamlet soon became known as Skae’s Corners. In 1842, Edward Skae made application to the legislature for a post office. He received a reply that a name other than “Corners” must be chosen for the post office as there were already too many place names containing ‘Corners.’ The name Oshawa was chosen and translates from the native dialect to mean ‘that point at the crossing of the stream where the canoe was exchanged for the trail.’
Oshawa’s downtown has seen several changes since it was settled almost 200 years ago. Some of the heritage buildings are lost, some still stand, although they would be unrecognizable to early settlers, while a few buildings have remained steadfast through the years, as beloved as they were when they were first constructed.
On June 9, 2013, the Oshawa Museum is excited to host the return of the Downtown Walking Tour, highlighting the heritage than can be found around the Four Corners. The tour will depart from the Oshawa Public Library, McLaughlin Branch (65 Bagot Street), at 12PM.
This walking tour is expected to take 1.5-2 hours in length. The cost is $3 per person or FREE for members of the Oshawa Historical Society.
Please be sure to join us for a stroll through our Downtown Heritage!