By Melissa Cole, Curator
In honour of Remembrance Day and remembering those who fought in the war, it was appropriate to share a street name story related to one of Oshawa’s World War II fallen soldiers.
Frederick Daniel Maddock was born to Frederick and Minnie Jane Brown on June 2, 1922 in Toronto. Frederick had three brothers, Gordon, Clifford and Leslie, and three sisters Maude, Viola and Shirley. When the family resided in Oshawa they lived at 34 Elgin Street West.
Frederick, nicknamed “Red” because of his red hair, attended Centre Street Public School and went to the University of Toronto. He was employed at General Motors before he enlisted on December 10, 1941 in Toronto.
After enlisting, he received training at Toronto, Moose Jaw, Trenton and McDonald, Manitoba. In September 1943 he was sent overseas where he was a registered Flight Sergeant in the Royal Canadian Air Force, Division 15.
An article published in the Oshawa Daily Times on July 22, 1944 had a headline reading “Oshawa FL-SGT is believed killed – F.D. “Red” Maddock Reported Missing Some Weeks Ago.” The International Red Cross at Geneva reported that he had lost his life on May 25, 1944. He is buried in Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, Netherlands.
When the message was sent home that he had died, his brother Clifford, the only other brother who was eligible to fight in the war, was honourably discharged and sent home to his family. The loss of one son was enough for the family. It was common practice during WWII when a sibling died and there was more than one child fighting for our country, they would be honorably discharged and sent home.
The veteran streets named Maddock Drive and Maddock Court in Oshawa are located at the east end of Oshawa, off Townline Road, north of Adelaide Avenue East and south of Beatrice Street East. Like other veteran’s streets, there is a poppy on the sign for Maddock Drive.